Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dreamers and realists

So I was just catching up on one of my favorite TV shows, Modern Family. It was the Thanksgiving episode and as always, the end left us with a sweet message about dreamers vs. realists. It gave me goosebumps. See half the family realized they were dreamers and the other half were realists. The ending message was:

"There are dreamers and there are realists in this world. You'd think the dreamers would find the dreamers and the realists would find the realists. But more often the opposite is true. You see the dreamers need the realists to keep them from soaring to close to the sun. And the realists, well without the dreamers they might not ever get off the ground."

That really hit me. It was me and Bert. He's the dreamer with the big plans and dreams. I'm the realist pulling him back to the ground, if needed, and always thinking of what is realistic. I guess we are a perfect match after all, we keep each other in perfect balance. I wonder what Carson will be like, will my realistic thinking infect his brain and he'll never dream big like his daddy. Or will it be hard to keep him on the ground because his dreams will be so big. As much as I think my way is best (as it usually is :), I secretly want him to be a dreamer. I want him to think the sky's the limit and not to let anything hold him down. I guess yesterday was a day of reflection for me. Stevie Wonder was on Ellen and I was telling Carson, he can't see honey, but look at all he's accomplished in his life. He is an amazing musician and an inspiration to so many. I told him, everyone has struggles and stuff that could hold them back, it's what you do with it that really matters. I don't want Carson to ever think that anything is going to hold him back especially the fact that he has an extra chromosome! I may be the realist in this bunch, but I will not ever let anyone or anything hold Carson back from whatever his dreams may be. So here's to the dreamers and realists keep dreaming big and keep remembering what's real :)

That is definitely the face of a dreamer right there :)



Looks like reality hit someone :(



I think we might have the created the perfect balance of dreamer and realist, only time will tell...

1 comment:

  1. Heather: Thank you for helping me to remember our self-limiting beliefs are our only limitations. Carson is so lucky to have amazing parents like you and Bert and you are so lucky to have Carson to watch him become all he is meant to be!

    ReplyDelete